Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement option that is designed to look, feel, and function like natural teeth. A dental implant is a metal post that a dentist places in your jawbone. As you heal, it fuses with your jawbone and acts as a new, sturdy tooth root that can support various types of restorations.
Dental implants are a good option if you are missing one or more teeth. They look and function like your natural teeth, so you will be able to regain your smile and confidence.
Dental Implants Procedure
Implants typically consist of three separate parts — the implant itself, the abutment, and the restoration. The implant is a metal post that is surgically placed into the jawbone in order to anchor it in place. Once healed, the abutment is attached to the implant and serves to connect the implant to the dental crown that will be placed over it in order to restore the tooth’s form and function.
In most cases, it takes around four to six months for the dental implant to be fully healed after being placed. During this time, temporary restorations such as a temporary crown can be placed over the implant while your permanent crown is being made by a lab technician. Once the crown is ready, it is attached to its respective implant using dental cement and you can enjoy your newly restored smile for years to come.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
- Many patients prefer this option over dentures because it does not require any alterations to existing teeth in order to be placed.
- Dental implants are able to prevent bone loss in the jaw over time as well.
- Implants replace both the tooth root and crown, making them a complete tooth restoration.
- Implants are quite durable and resistant to wear, making them the most preferred option to replace missing teeth.
- Implants are incredibly effective as well as long-lasting. In fact, some implants can last up to twenty years before needing to be replaced.
- Since implants are securely anchored in the jawbone, they don't slip or shift as dentures do.
- Since they have a natural appearance, no one will be able to tell that your teeth aren't your natural teeth.
- Since dental implants function and look just like normal teeth, you'll be able to once again enjoy your favorite foods and smile with confidence.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Atwood Family Dentistry, call (208) 528-6684 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 1759 W Broadway, Idaho Falls, ID 83402.